Homeschooler Pro

P Ebt Card For Homeschoolers

The Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) card is a nationwide benefit program that was created to provide relief to families seeking food assistance during the COVID-19 pandemic. The P-EBT card is accessible to family members who are eligible for free-and-reduced-price meals under the National School Lunch Program.

The program is designed to ensure homeschoolers are not left out in the cold when it comes to receiving essential food assistance. Here is everything you need to know about using the P-EBT program for homeschoolers in your area.

What is P-EBT?

P-EBT is a federally funded benefit program that provides supplemental benefits to families with children M-12 to purchase food when schools are closed due to the pandemic or the school is operating on a hybrid or remote learning model. The main goal of P-EBT is to provide families with an extra $70 per day of distance or hybrid learning days per qualifying child.

The funds are made available in the form of an electronic benefit transfer (EBT) card. The card works like a debit card and can be used to purchase food at grocery stores and other retailers who accept EBT cards.

The program was funded with the Families First Coronavirus Response Act and was expanded in 2020 by the Consolidated Appropriations Act.

Who is Eligible for P-EBT Benefits?

To qualify for P-EBT benefits, the child must be a United States citizen or a documented immigrant and must receive free-or-reduced-price school meals at a public or private non-profit school. This includes homeschoolers who are part of a county homeschool cooperative or homeschoolers enrolled in a state or federally accredited homeschool program.

The student must also have attended school (whether physically present or remotely) at least part-time between September and mid-May of the school year to be eligible for benefits under the P-EBT program.

How Does the P-EBT Program Work for Homeschoolers?

P-EBT is a benefit program designed to help families with children who participate in distance learning. To be eligible for P-EBT benefits, homeschoolers must first be enrolled in a qualifying homeschool program and must be receiving free-or-reduced-price school meals. The P-EBT benefits are designed to supplement the cost of meals for qualifying homeschoolers during the school year.

Once the student is approved for benefits, the funds are deposited into the electronic benefit transfer (EBT) card on a monthly basis. The EBT card can then be used at grocery stores and other retailers who accept EBT cards.

How Much Does the P-EBT Program Cover?

The amount of P-EBT benefits a homeschooler qualifies for depends on their free or reduced rate meal status. A student who is eligible for free meals is eligible for the maximum P-EBT benefit of $247 per school year, while a student eligible for reduced-price meals is eligible for a benefit of $182 per school year. The funds are deposited into the EBT card on a monthly basis, with the total benefit for the school year divided by 1

The funds can be used for any food items that are purchased with an EBT card, including fresh produce, meats and dairy, as well as prepared foods like sandwiches and salads.

What if I Do Not Receive the EBT Benefits I Applied For?

If the P-EBT benefits you applied for do not appear in your EBT card within the expected timeframe, then you should contact your state’s P-EBT program to inquire about the status of your application. Some of the reasons why P-EBT applications may be denied or delayed include incorrect or missing information on the application, eligibility requirements not being met, or a backlog of applications.

What if I Need More Assistance than the P-EBT Program Can Provide?

If you need additional assistance beyond what the P-EBT program can provide, then you should contact your local social services agency to inquire about other aid programs you may be eligible for. Other food assistance programs may include the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC), or other local food banks and pantries.

Are My P-EBT Benefits Taxable?

No, the funds you receive from the P-EBT program are not considered taxable income. The funds provided through the program are intended to cover the supplemental costs of meals for students during the school year and are not considered income.

What if I Need Additional Funds for School Supplies?

The P-EBT program is specifically designed to help families with food costs during the COVID-19 pandemic, so it cannot be used to purchase school supplies or other educational materials. If you need assistance with purchasing school supplies, you will need to check with your state or local government agencies to see if there are any programs that can provide additional assistance.

What Should I Do if I Do Not Have an EBT Card?

If you do not already have an EBT card, then you will need to contact your state or local government agency to obtain one. The government agency will issue you an EBT card and provide instructions on how to register and use the card.

What Should I Do if My P-EBT Benefits are Unused?

If you receive P-EBT benefits but do not use all of the funds before the school year ends, then the remaining balance will be transferred to your EBT card for the following school year. However, any unused funds not used by the end of the school year will be forfeited and cannot be used for the next school year.

Are There Any Restrictions on Purchases Made with P-EBT Benefits?

Yes, there are restrictions on what can and cannot be purchased with P-EBT benefits. The funds must be used to purchase food items and cannot be used to purchase items such as tobacco, alcohol, or firearms.

Additionally, P-EBT benefits cannot be used to purchase hot prepared food items from a restaurant or store, such as hot sandwiches and salads.

Are there Any Additional Fees for Using the EBT Card?

No, there are no additional fees for using the EBT card to make purchases at grocery stores and other retailers who accept EBT cards. However, you may be charged a fee to use the card at a check-cashing location or to transfer funds from one card to another.

What Should I Do if I Need to Replace My EBT Card?

If you need to replace your EBT card, then you should contact your state or local government agency who issued the card. Your agency will provide instructions on how to replace your card and they may also be able to provide a new card if your current one is lost or stolen.

Where Can I Learn More about the P-EBT Program?

You can learn more about the P-EBT program by visiting the respective state or local government agency’s website. Additionally, you may be able to find more information about the program by contacting your local school district.


The P-EBT program is an important resource for providing supplemental food assistance to families with children enrolled in eligible homeschool programs. The program is designed to ensure homeschoolers are not left out in the cold when it comes to receiving essential food assistance. By understanding the eligibility requirements, understanding how the program works, and knowing your rights and options, you can make the most of the P-EBT program to ensure your family gets the food they need.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top